the Ariki..

Over the years have come to realize that different mediums present different possibilities. Watercolor is sort of a 'one shot' deal in that once it dries changes are difficult. I evolved a way of using it that worked for me.. Pencil in a indication of where the important 'parts' need to be -eyes, mouth, jawline etc.. then loose as possible wet into wet to let the colors flow into each other- then a fine ink pen to define where needed. I found approaching it in this way worked for me - I very much enjoyed the process. In thinking back on it the watercolor classes I had while at Art Center probably had a lot to do with a positive feeling about the medium. Paul Sousa was the teacher who gave us a understanding of ways to use watercolor - and as always a good teacher is a very important part of any process.